Criteria for Expenditure of Funds
Annually, the INMM Treasurer prepares a letter (email) to the INMM EC, Oversight Chairs, Division Chairs, Technical and Standing Committee Chairs, Chapter Presidents and the INMM Executive Director requesting income and expense projections for the next fiscal year in their areas of responsibility. These projections are collected by the INMM Treasurer and used to develop a draft budget. In addition to providing specific budget input, the INMM Executive Director assists the Treasurer in budget process by reviewing and commenting on working drafts. The final draft budget is presented at the Fall EC meeting for discussion, modification, and approval. Following budget approval, the Treasurer finalizes the new budget and sends copies to the above listed parties.
Budget request submissions in response to the annual budget call may take a variety of forms. For simple requests, such as Technical and Standing committee support, an email to the Treasurer giving the amount requested and a brief description of how the money will be used is sufficient. For more complicated requests, such as support for Divisional and Chapter topical meetings and workshops or special Chapter activities, a more complete response giving a breakdown of anticipated income and expense by major category is required. This information will then be considered by the Treasurer in preparation of the budget. In those cases where money is needed to support an INMM activity or initiative not identified in the annual budget request, the requestor needs to prepare an explanation of the request for the Treasurer and members of the EC, outlining the reason for the request, the amount of funding requested, and a breakdown of how the money will be used. The request will be considered by the Treasurer and EC. If approved, the Treasurer will modify the budget accordingly and issue a revised budget.
The approximate annual calendar for preparation of the INMM budget is as follows:
Initiation of EC budget discussions August
Treasurer's budget call September 1
Response to budget call September 30
Final draft budget October 31
Budget review and approval Fall EC Meeting
Issue approved budget December 15
Criteria for Expenditure of Funds
Expenditures of funds will not usually be approved to support any other organization or society meetings unless the Institute is a co-sponsor. In addition, funds will not usually be approved to offset unrealized funding budgeted by another organization or society, even if the Institute is a co-sponsor.
Criteria for Expenditure of Funds All expenditures of funds by the INMM or any organizational element of the INMM, such as Divisions, Chapters, Technical Committees, and Standing Committees, for the operation of the Institute or its organizational substructure, and/or to support the implementation of the INMM Bylaws, must be approved the budget process unless the funds are in accounts directly managed by the organization's element (e.g. chapter). Fund expenditures should meet at least one of the following criteria to be considered for the annual budget:
- Directly benefit the INMM membership at large or an authorized organizational element of the INMM as approved under the Bylaws
- Associated with technical, educational, and/or administrative activities that directly promote or support the membership at large or specific Divisions, Technical Committees, Standing Committees, and/or Chapters of the INMM
- Support technical, educational and/or administrative activities which promote the INMM through science fairs, technical programs, discussion groups, publications, exhibits, posters, or booths at other organization or society meetings where INMM members are present for the purpose of representing the Institute
- For limited special occasion receptions, celebrations, or ceremonies marking INMM Division, Technical Committee, Standing Committee or Chapter significant achievements and/or accomplishments
- Cover food, drink, or accommodations for social functions, or receptions, as long as these expenditures are an integral part of an INMM function
In all cases, funding requests should be submitted for consideration during the annual budget process and should be accompanied by justification based on the criteria listed above. Members of the INMM who are authorized to expend funds as approved in the INMM Annual Budget are accountable for the expenditures to the Executive Committee as agents of the INMM membership at large. To request funds for workshops or other events, review the INMM Workshop Guide, which includes a budgeting template.
INMM members may arrange sponsors to support INMM events, including from companies, national laboratories, government agencies, and INMM chapters. Contributions can consist of funding for activities or products that can be given away during the event. Please note, sponsorship from some organizations may incur undue burden/restrictions on the conduct of an event. Please follow the guidelines below to minimize any unintended negative consequences of sponsorship.
When soliciting sponsorship funds, the following guidelines should be used:
- Obtain agreement with the INMM Event Coordinator for the solicitation of outside funds and identify what activities can be supported by outside contributions.
- Inform the INMM Executive Director of your plans to solicit funds or other contributions for an INMM event. The Executive Director can advise you of current practices and also give you deadlines for programs, advertising and signage.
- Using the Sponsor Form provided by the Executive Director as a template, determine the amount of funding that will be needed to cover or defray the costs of an activity and the amounts of funding that will be requested. Several levels of sponsorship can be identified for each activity and perks can be awarded to sponsors as incentives to contribute.
- Work with INMM Headquarters to identify the process for collecting committed funds. Many organizations will require invoices in order to remit the funds.
- Obtain completed sponsor forms and send them to INMM Headquarters or have the organization send them directly to INMM Headquarters.
- Give staff adequate time to prepare the signs or other acknowledgement of sponsors. INMM Headquarter staff needs at least two weeks to have the signs printed.
- After the event, thank the organizations, preferably by letter, and let them know how their contribution helped the success of the event.